Mumford High School Demolition Underway #MumfordHS #DPS #TellUsDetroit
July 25, 2012 Leave a comment
Construction of a new $52.1 million high school nearly complete on the Wyoming Street campus
DETROIT – Demolition started today of the 63-year-old former Samuel C. Mumford High School on the campus located at 17525 Wyoming Street in northwest Detroit. It will take demolition crews approximately nine weeks to level the 240,273-square-foot Art Deco style structure that was built in 1949.
Construction of a new $52.1 million facility is nearly complete on the former athletic field and will open this fall. A new football and track and field area will be constructed on the grounds of the old high school after demolition of the structure is complete.
Construction of a brand new Mumford school and demolition of the old building is part of the $500.5 million DPS Capital Improvement Program Detroit voters approved under Proposal S in 2009.
Detroit-headquartered 1 Way Service, Inc. was awarded the contract to abate and demolish the former Mumford High School.
The DPS Capital Improvement Program is in the third and final year of construction, demolition and improvement projects. Demolition at Robeson and the old Mackenzie schools began this summer. The program also included demolition of seven other closed schools including the old Earhart, Chadsey, Munger, Gompers, Finney, Martin Luther King Jr. schools, and Cass Tech.
Program manager for the Bond Construction Program is Walbridge Joint Venture, which includes Brailsford & Dunlavey, Walbridge, and Fanning Howey.
Detroit voters approved Proposal S in November 2009 which enabled the district to access $500.5 million for school capital improvement projects. The improvement program also includes technology upgrades and security initiatives being funded with Proposal S dollars. To comply with federal guidelines, all bond dollars must be spent within three years and all projects must be completed by September 2012.